Monday, August 8, 2016

Movie Review: Suicide Squad

Ok... Why am I doing this? Cuz I am an otaku and a geek, thought in a casual sense not in a hardcore kind(i.e, I don't read light novels, manga or comics unless I am motivated to do so) but I do love Japanese and Western stuff. And I thought I try my hand in this soooo...

This is based on my personal opinion. Everyone has their own opinion and they can either agree with me or not. It's a free world after all.

ALL RIGHTS GO TO THEIR RESPECTIVE CREATORS/STUDIOS. THIS REVIEW ASSUMES THAT YOU ALREADY WATCHED THE MOVIE. If not, use your common sense.


Suicide Squad is an action film based from the DC comic series of the same name and is produced/distributed by Warner Bros., DC Entertainment and RatPac-Dune Entertainment. The film stars Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Cara Delevingne, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis and many more.


Just like in the comics, the origin of the Suicide Squad is the same as in the movie, albeit in a different circumstance within the DC Extended Universe. Amidst the death of Superman at the hands of Doomsday on the previous film, Amanda Waller(Viola Davis) assembles Task Force X led by Rick Flag(Joel Kinnaman). The film starts as a flashback of sorts to the introduction of the members, compromised of Deadshot(Will Smith), Harley Quinn(Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang(Jai Courtney), Killer Croc(Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), El Diablo(Jay Hernandez) and Enchantress(Cara Delevinge). When Enchantress goes rogue by summoning her brother Incubus, Task Force X is under forced orders to extract a high value asset in Midway City and realize they are doing something way above from what they are supposed to do.


I just gave a bit of an overview about it and now I'm gonna say my piece. The moment the movie was out in the US, lots of bad reviews came in. I myself wonder on why another DC movie has been given another thumbs down from critics and I like comic book movies so I had to watch it. Let me mention some things though after watching the movie...


The only people that stand out to me within the cast are Deadshot and Harley Quinn. The former due to the actor's signature tone, humor and attitude which is Will Smith's trademark and the fact that Deadshot loves his daughter which makes him more human than the rest of the squad. Margot's Harley Quinn however, dear Lord... Seriously, if Tara Strong, the original voice actress for Harley Quinn ever needed a substitute, Margot Robbie is good enough as she nailed it. Impressive, I should say.


Everyone expects Jared Leto's Joker to be top notch and should be Mark Hamill/Heath Ledger worthy... But, many bubbles were bursts the moment they saw the film. I don't blame them but what they didn't know that the Joker being a side character for this film is necessary: This movie is about Harley's involvement in the Squad and not the Joker since he isn't part of it. What's more, the Joker will only be at his best when he is personally up against Batman. The car chase between them at the beginning isn't much but Jared's Joker will have to wait. He got his girl back and we will be seeing him soon. This Joker has potential, if Warner will not screw up the editing process of future films...


Katana(Karen Fukuhara) is the only non criminal/hero in the squad and yet her appearance is like a sudden mushroom with sudden backstory. Same with the rest of the squad; Killer Croc need more screen time and plot. Story is... Predictable at times. The visual effects of Enchantress is way too dark and her impact is weak. The final fight is too flashy! Can't tell which is which. Still, this gives comic book fans and casual fans happiness. It's not too good, but not too bad... I'd say... 6.5 out of 10? Well, people have their own opinions.


I pity the DC movies; comic book fans love them, but the general public and critics do not. I heard there are many cuts in this movie either by director's hand or Warner itself. If there will be a Blu-Ray version of this, I'll watch it again to see if there are changes. This movie sets up the events that will lead up to Justice League; Flash made his cameo fighting Captain Boomerang and Bruce Wayne is looking for "friends".

And so my piece ends... Comments and opinions are welcome... See you guys soon! Time for an anime review next.





No comments:

Post a Comment